For more than thirty years Clayman & Rosenberg LLP has creatively and forcefully advised individuals and business entities facing civil and criminal tax fraud investigations undertaken by federal, state and local tax authorities, including the Internal Revenue Service, the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance and the Tax Division of the U.S. Department of Justice. We have successfully litigated cases involving allegations of conspiracy and filing false income tax returns, tax evasion, failure to file income tax returns, filing fraudulent sales tax returns and related crimes.
- Represented at trial in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York an attorney from a major law firm charged with orchestrating what the government claimed was the largest tax shelter fraud in U.S. history.
- Successfully represented a senior tax professional at a Big Four accounting firm charged with participating in a scheme to defraud the IRS in connection with the marketing of tax shelters to the firm’s clients.
- Convinced the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance to drop its criminal investigation of an attorney who failed to file tax returns for multiple years.
- Persuaded the Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office to decline prosecution of an accountant recorded on videotape allegedly counseling a client to evade income taxes.
- Dissuaded the United States Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York from prosecuting an individual who failed to disclose an overseas account and allegedly lied to prosecutors about its existence.
- Represented numerous individuals and businesses in criminal sales tax investigations.